Friday, October 22, 2004

Pat Robertson is a fool

During a conversation with Paula Zahn, Pat Robertson had this to say about the President and Iraq:

He was just sitting there, like, I'm on top of the world, and I warned him about this war. I had deep misgivings about this war, deep misgivings. And I was trying to say, Mr. President, you better prepare the American people for casualties.

Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties. Well, I said, it's the way it's going to be. And so, it was messy. The lord told me it was going to be, A, a disaster and, B, messy. And before that, I had deep, in my spirit, I had deep misgivings about going into Iraq.


I commend to Robertson's attention Proverbs 17. There's a lot there concerning fools and their words. I especially recommend verses 16 and 28: "Why is there a price in the hand of a fool to buy wisdom, When he has no sense?"; "Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent."

Where to begin? As RealClearPolitics points out, the notion that Bush told Pat Robertson that we would have no casualties in Iraq is so ludicrous as to suggest to me that Robertson is lying. Proverbs has some things to say about liars as well as fools.

Furthermore, if the Lord told Robertson that Iraq would be a disaster, maybe Robertson should have asked, for whom, us or the terrorists? Perhaps Robertson should read Arthur Chrenkoff's excellent blog, starting with this post on all of the good news in Iraq that it appears the Lord didn't know about when He told Pat that Iraq would be a disaster.

Come to think of it, this isnt the first time Pat Robertson has claimed to hear from the Lord. I certainly hope for Robertson's sake that the Lord really is telling him all these things. I don't think that the Lord would approve of someone attributing statements to His name which aren't true. Seems like I read something about that in the Bible too...

"You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain." --Deuteronomy 5:11